WHEN GOD’s MERCY MOVES BEYOND BOUNDARIES
- 793 BC…Jeroboam II (2 Kgs 14)…Nineveh 759 BC?
- Just before Amos and Hosea…a period of economic prosperity in Israel but spiritual poverty
- Assyria was the dominant military force
- When God Pursues with Mercy (Ch1)
- When God Rejoices in Repentance (Ch2)
•The message nor the messenger nor the recipient of the message have changed
•But Jonah has in someway…he obeys…God uses discipline not to destroy but to develop his chosen vessels
•The Ninevites show a character unlike that of a ‘Super Power’ and contrasting Israel
•Out of the King’s mouth more faith is shown in YHWH in understanding what true repentance looks like and can achieve
•God’s mercy and grace can come upon an individual as drops of rain or as a vast ocean over a multitude!
•He is God!.... (Ex 33:19;Ex 34:6-7; Is 55:8-9)
GOD’s PURSUIT IS EVER ON
•The task of preaching Christ is ours God works out the repentance according to his sovereign will
Take Away: Consider your missionary role and missional footprint in the Kingdom Work